The NAFSA Technology Member Interest Group (MIG) Co-Chairs are responsible for running all aspects of the MIG, from conference coordination, outreach and education in the international education world. For a full description of their roles and responsibilities, please see below for more information.
Tracy Kaan is the Assistant Director of Technology and Processes in the International Student and Scholar Services office at the University of North Texas, where she coordinates and manages the technology needed to keep the University and the over 3,000 international students and scholars compliant with U.S. immigration regulations. She holds a B.A. in Behavioral Sciences from East Texas Baptist University and a M.Ed. in Higher Education with a concentration in Student Affairs from the University of North Texas. Tracy has been working in the international education field since 2006, and over the years has enjoyed working with students in the areas of study abroad, sponsored programs, and international admissions and recruiting.
Heidi holds a BA in Sociology and Spanish from Keene State College and a MA in International Education from SIT Graduate Institute. A mostly self-taught tech geek, her love affair with culture and language began quietly with learning French in Montessori school at aged four and listening to stories of her mother’s post-collegiate travels to Germany in the late seventies. The passion truly took hold in college after studying abroad in Ecuador. Aside from studying then later living in Ecuador, Heidi’s travels have taken her to Belize, Canada, Costa Rica, England, Spain, Turkey, and most recently crossed off her bucket list, Peru and Machu Picchu. An artist and writer with an ardent love for playing basketball and a new found adoration for running; Heidi is also fluent in Spanish and studied Turkish. After a career in social work and another in marketing she has found her home in the field of International Education, a spectacular blend of all the fields.
Achim Loch is the Internet Marketing and Outreach Coordinator for the Global Education Office at George Mason University in Fairfax, Virginia, where he manages all aspects of digital marketing, email campaigns, and social media marketing. He holds a Master’s degree in North American Literary and Cultural Studies from Saarland University in Germany. Achim has been an early adopter of phone and snail mail alternatives – First, to keep up with transatlantic communications during his education, then to maintain newly formed family ties. After teaching English at various institutions for many years, he relocated to Northern Virginia in 2012 and has been working in the field of education abroad ever since.
Description & Responsibilities
All Co-Chair(s) will hold an initial 2 year term, after that 2 of the existing Co-Chair(s) will resign or put themselves up for re-election along with any new contenders. The NAFSA Tech MIG community will then vote for their new leaders for the coming year at the NAFSA Annual Conference.
Major Areas of Responsibility include:
- Collaborate with fellow Co-Chair(s) to execute the MIG’s annual report for NAFSA
- Make every effort to attend Open Meeting and Get Networked Fair at the national NAFSA conference (there may also be other events, i.e. Leader Luncheon)
- Work with Co-Chair(s) to recruit members and oversee leadership roles
- Participate in online discussions; lend expertise in the tech categories
- Attend monthly meeting with other Co-Chair(s)
- Attend monthly or bi-monthly meetings with leaders roles
- Provide initiatives and opportunities to recruit members
- Develop initiatives to help the Tech MIG increase its involvement in NAFSA activities,
- Seek and target fundraising opportunities ways we can fundraise for events
- Oversee, delegates, and keeps accountable other Tech MIG Leaders, including but not limited to: Regional Representatives, Social Media Managers, Event/Meeting Coordinators, Tech Category Leaders
- Familiarity with NAFSA
- Actively involved with or highly knowledgeable in the field of international education.
- Demonstrates expertise in at least one Tech Category (Social Media, Online Marketing / Website Design, CRM Systems, Sunapsis or other software, etc.)
- Preferred commitment of 2 years
- If you must step down prior to 2 years, 4 weeks notice is preferred in writing
Co-Chair(s) report to contacts within NAFSA and provide an annual report as stipulated by NAFSA staff.